St Margarets Junior School – Linked to St Margaret’s Church Rainham.
There has been a connection to St Margaret’s Church for nearly 170 years dating back to 1846.
Excerpt from the Rainham Parish Magazine 1877 –
National School (Education Set of 1877
In 1877, from the first of January, every child above 5 and under 9 years of age must be taught reading, writing and arithmetic; and no-one, not even the father or mother, may employ him or her in any shop, or in any way whatever, for gain or wages.
The original National School building was erected in Station Road in 1846 and the plaque in the wall of the chimney gives credit to the Earl of Thanet who donated the site. This stone was carefully removed when the building was demolished in 1977 and may now be seen in St. Margaret’s Junior School, Orchard Street.
By 1866 the school was inadequate for the number of children attending and the single storey Infants School was added at a cost to the parishioners of £507.
The Station Road building 1908
In 1932, following the Education Acts demanding secondary education for all, the Orchard Street Secondary Modern Schools were built but by some Thirty years later Rainham had grown to such an extent that many more school places were needed. Two brand new secondary schools were built for senior pupils and the redundant Orchard Street buildings were able to undergo a thorough facelift and conversion. The old Boys’ School became the St Margaret’s C of E Junior School, and the former Girls’ School adapted into the St Margaret’s Infants School.
For some years the schools were full to capacity and overflowing into huts which had to be used as classrooms, however the building of new schools at Thamesview and Mierscourt relieved the congestion and the two schools took on more manageable proportions.
The Link with St. Margaret’s Church which began in 1846 continues today as classes visit the Church as part of the school curriculum and members of the Clergy regularly visit the School to take assemblies. School services are held in Church on occasions throughout the year. The PCC appoint two foundation governors to the School Governing body.
Click this link to St. Margaret’s Church of England Junior School.